11.17.2008

book review: midnight by sister souljah *spoiler alert*

had i not been so excited about re-living my freshman year experience with my 3c girls and winter santiaga, i might have waited for some reviews of this book so that i would know what to expect. . .but i couldn't wait. i bought it the day it came out and began reading. i don't normally read fiction books (i'm planning a revolution, remember? besides, i get enough fiction and junk entertainment thrown at me on a regular basis anyway) but i make a few exceptions. this was one of them.
after reading sister souljah's explanation of her book, i realize that i went into it all wrong. it even took me until akemi's third or fourth appearance to remember that the subtitle of the book was 'a gangster love story'. i was hoping for a winter sighting somewhere before it ended, wondering how sister souljah was going to make him grow all the way up before the end of the book. i admit to calling it a 'sequel' to coldest winter ever once or twice. all that to say, i have always liked sister souljah's writing--clear and descriptive, word choice very deliberate, but i can't say i loved this book.
  • i HATED the pictures--the little boy that they have pictured throughout this book is not what my mind says midnight looks like. part of the intrigue of the intial character is that he looked different to every woman who read it. you can't ruin that with pictures of a boy who is far from fine! if she would have let me imagine akemi for myself, she too would have been way more beautiful than the girl in the pictures. but nooooo!
  • also, despite the fact that this little boy had been exposed to things that made him wise beyond his years, by no stretch of the imagination is this book about a 14 year old. it is too hard to imagine midnight as a 14 year old knowing, doing, and seeing all that he does. nearly impossible. i had to make up my own age for him to avoid the cognitive dissonance that would have resulted from me trying to make him 14
  • i did appreciate how well researched the cultures in the book were. you can tell that sister souljah spent time researching the various cultures and religions presented and took deliberate care in delivering the descriptions to her audience--sometimes to the point of overkill, but still a nice touch. i absolutely love the idea of a male being so protective of the women in his life and of how the early influence of a father and other strong males can be so important and influential.
  • i didn't like the way black american females were portrayed in this book. ss says she was trying to show black women that they had to be 'more' and have more to compete with in this global economy, but the point was lost on me. not one of the black american females midnight comes across is anything other than exaggeration and caricature. the one he does take the time to interact with, 'bangs', deserves a story of her own--i especially didn't like how ss left it in the air and let midnight get away with being able to judge bangs for being a victim of incestuous rape. it is still lost on me how midnight can think it worth the trouble to communicate his religion and way of life with someone he can't even verbally communicate with or understand, but thought it was a waste of time to try to educate any of the black females he came across. he even chose akemi over sudana--who understood him, his culture, and his religion perfectly. it is as if ss is giving black men an excuse to not want to date or marry the women who are more like them, like she's giving them an excuse to be embarassed and/or flee from what the type of women who shaped them. or maybe she is trying to tell black women to be more submissive and quiet? i'm lost. . .
  • it is wholly unrealistic for someone to fall in love and marry someone whom they have seen no more than 10 times and can't communicate with without an interpreter. this relationship is far too mature. . .then, as if to simplify it all, when they finally do get married, it seems like they just rushed to get married so midnight could feel okay about having sex with her. their relationship couldn't really deepen because they still can't talk to each other, now they are simply playing charades and having sex in his mother's apartment. and it creeped me out when his mother talks about akemi glowing now that they've had sex. furthermore, the last thing they need is to have a baby!
  • most of all, i don't like books that aren't full stories. you have 498 pages--tell me a full story. end in a period and not an ellipse. it's not fair. if you want to write another book to pick up where this one ended, fine. . .but end this one! she didn't even have the decency to tell us what the letter said or even what happened to his father (btw, were his other wives just thrown out on the street? no one said anything about them coming to the united states)
anyway, i suppose i'll be stuck reading the next one, whenever it comes out--maybe. i mean, part of me wants to know what happens next, but part of me never took the relationship seriously enough to care about what happens to it. maybe if the next one starts with akemi being able to speak english. . .or even arabic, i will feel like reading it.

7 comments:

livelovelaugh said...

You and I have discussed throughout the reading of this book how much I was disappointed with it. I agree with all your points but especially about Souljah's portrayal of black girls. If the point was to encourage positive self images, self respect and esteem then there had to be a better way to get this accomplished. I did not think that anything about Midnight's character-as it was described-was realistic for a 14-year-old. In addition (lol) I am not sure how I would ever believe that any 14 year old boy (especially not this proud Sundanese, Muslim boy) would be in a relationship with a non English speaking Japanese girl. I just did not understand how this prologue to Midnight's life would fit into the life he led in Winter. It was all a mess but I guess I feel relieved to know that there will be another book which will hopefully piece the two stories together. My interest level in reading that, however, is blah, lol, to say the least.

Unknown said...

I didn't read the post, but it did signal me that you've finished the book. Send it on over to Philly since you're done! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ummmm, Aimee, stop being so damn picky and enjoy a good fictional book every once and awhile!!! :-)
-rachelle

Unknown said...

i just finished this book last week... again, just like with Housewives.. you took every thought I had about it and blogged it. Girl!!
I read Coldest Winter like a million times when it first dropped so I knew all my characters. The only person that was made mention of that was in the first book was Vega. Midnight looked NOTHING how I imagined him. And I didn't care for that little young whippersnapper that was depicted. I stayed with my own mental pic of what i wanted him to look like. The book was well written don't get me wrong. It was just disappointing cause I wanted to hear about Winter. Yeah, I said it. LOL

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE BLOG!! Very entertaining!

- I didn't agree with all of your comments but the end was TERRIBLE! I hated the way she ended (better yet "closed") the book. Like you said, end this one before you release the next one. That wasn't fair at all.
- The last few chapter (prob 7-10) were just a blur. She really wasn't talking about anything & everything was happening so fast. I hated that the mom was glowing when she found out they had sex. I hated that they got married w/o the mom or sis. I hated that we didn't know what Akemi family said about the whole thing. I hated that we didn't know what happened to Heavenly. I hated that we didn't get any info on the damn game. And most importantly WTF did the letter say!!! I think that's when I was most irritated!! LMAO
- However I did think it was a good story (good read). And it's not the norm but as we saw w/ the other Muslim couple - some cultures have arranged marriages and "fall in love" with their partner w/in DAYS of meeting. It's like you are attracted to some1 & you only go on one date & boom you are married - that's how it is. They don't believe in "dating" - dating leads to temptation, temptation leads to fornication. Which is why they have multiple wives - so if they really fall in love w/ some1 they will just married them & that would be wife number ____.
- I don't think the image of Black American girls were exaggerated either, especially in BK (no offense). When I was reading those earlier chapters I saw exactly what she was writing b/c that's how most of those neighborhoods are. Guys watching whose coming in & out of what bldg. Girls wanting to be w/ the guy the new guy that was "tough". Girls pushing themselves on guys that are playing hard to get. Girls being fast. Yup - I see all that sh*t.

But yea...I'm not in a rush to read the next part but I will read it - so I guess her goal was met (*rolling my eyes*)! lol. I also think the media/word of mouth/ whoever did make readers think it was a sequel. when we initially heard SS was writing a book about Midnight that's what everyone thought it would be - a continuation to Coldest Winter Ever - but readers were disappointed when it wasn't. And especially when it wasn't as "hood" as that book (based on my other friends' comments).

Ok that's enough! lol. Just wanted to give you some feedback! I'll be visit!

Nicola said...

I agree with your review. I found this book disappointing & offensive in so many ways. I hated how it portrayed every female black American character as desperate, dangerous, sex-crazed 'whores' (a word used dozens of times in the book) - it seems women only deserve respect when they are modest, submissive & virginal. The worst example of this was when Midnight says he could never fall for Bangs/Tiffany because she isn't pure, even after he finds out she has been raped by her uncle since she was 5!!! He wonders if she enjoys being raped by him ffs. Appalling. I honestly cannot believe a woman wrote this. Midnight treats his womenfolk as valuable posessions worth killing for, but posessions nonetheless. Such antiquated, misogynistic crap.

American, especially American born black people, are consistently portrayed as stupid, lazy, & stereotypical. Only the immigrant characters are portrayed in a positive light, especially the religious ones. What is SS trying to do or say with all this?!

There was also casual homophobia & transphobia thrown in unchallenged. I can't believe this was published in 2008.

These issues aside, there were also massive plot holes. Why exactly did the family have to leave the Sudan? What happened to his father? And his other wives? Why did Akemi's father sign the papers? How could Midnight save so much when he comstantly splashed cash around & spent a fortune on his attire?

I also hated the endless descriptions of outfits & designer brands in almost every scene. Materialism was worshipped as much as Allah & virginity in this book.

The dojo wedding scene was laughable, as was the sex scene. Completely unrealistic.

There were some aspects of the book I enjoyed (eg learning about Sudanese culture) but these issues far outweighed the positives.

I loved The Coldest Winter Ever so I was very let down by Midnight.

Nicola said...

I agree with your review. I found this book disappointing & offensive in so many ways. I hated how it portrayed every female black American character as desperate, dangerous, sex-crazed 'whores' (a word used dozens of times in the book) - it seems women only deserve respect when they are modest, submissive & virginal. The worst example of this was when Midnight says he could never fall for Bangs/Tiffany because she isn't pure, even after he finds out she has been raped by her uncle since she was 5!!! He wonders if she enjoys being raped by him ffs. Appalling. I honestly cannot believe a woman wrote this. Midnight treats his womenfolk as valuable posessions worth killing for, but posessions nonetheless. Such antiquated, misogynistic crap.

American, especially American born black people, are consistently portrayed as stupid, lazy, & stereotypical. Only the immigrant characters are portrayed in a positive light, especially the religious ones. What is SS trying to do or say with all this?!

There was also casual homophobia & transphobia thrown in unchallenged. I can't believe this was published in 2008.

These issues aside, there were also massive plot holes. Why exactly did the family have to leave the Sudan? What happened to his father? And his other wives? Why did Akemi's father sign the papers? How could Midnight save so much when he comstantly splashed cash around & spent a fortune on his attire?

I also hated the endless descriptions of outfits & designer brands in almost every scene. Materialism was worshipped as much as Allah & virginity in this book.

The dojo wedding scene was laughable, as was the sex scene. Completely unrealistic.

There were some aspects of the book I enjoyed (eg learning about Sudanese culture) but these issues far outweighed the positives.

I loved The Coldest Winter Ever so I was very let down by Midnight.